Churchill’s Fruit Cake - Sarah made this for VE Day, according to the National Trust this was one of Winston Churchill’s favourites. It’s a recipe inspired by his long standing cook Georgina Landemare who catered for Churchill during the war at Downing Street.
- Soak the dried fruit in the tea, preferably overnight to allow the tea to be absorbed
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees and line and grease your cake tin
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- Gradually beat the eggs into the mixture, fold in the Flour and add the mixed spice
- Add in the mixed fruit and the glace cherries and continue to mix together
- Once completely mixed in together, scrape the mixture into the cake tin and leave to bake for 2 hours
- Remove from the oven and leave to coll on a wire rack