Lemon & Basil Roast Chicken with herby potatoes.
Lemon & Basil Chicken with Herby Potatoes
Beautifully light and summery Sunday Roast Dinner.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Pop the chicken into a large roasting tin, quarter a lemon and set inside the cavity. Halve another lemon and set on the tray.
- Cover the skin of the chicken in plenty oil and season well with salt and pepper. Cover one whole bulb of garlic in oil and add to the tray. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Take another tray and heat 2 tbsp of duck fat in the oven.
- Meanwhile, peel and quarter the potatoes. Place in a pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and cook vigorously for 2 minutes. Whilst boiling add a whole lemon to the water.
- Drain the potatoes, fluffing them in the sieve, coat with 1 tbsp plain flour. Pierce the lemon and add to the cavity of the chicken. Add the potatoes to the duck fat, rolling around the tray to ensure they are covered in fat, sprinkle the rosemary around the tray.
- Roast the chicken and potatoes in the oven for a further hour, turning the potatoes often. Remove the bulb of garlic once soft.
- Using a pestle and mortar, combine the a large handful of basil leave with 1 tsp Maldon sea salt to make a paste. Remove the bulbs from the roasted garlic and crush in to the paste, add the juice of 1 lemon and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Rub the paste over the skin of the chicken when removed from the oven. Scatter Maldon Sea Salt over the potatoes before serving.